Newport Arms, Cardigan

The Newport Arms stood near Castle Street in the Bridgend area of Cardigan.  John Mathias, Master of the schooner Victoria ran the Newport Arms from 1817 to 1830. 

During the 1860s the inn was closed only to be reopened twenty years later at a different location on Castle Street.  The Newport Arms was finally closed in 1906 when the local magistrates refused to renew its license.

The Eagle Inn, Cardigan

An early 19th century inn which was run by Captain John Mathias, master of the ketch Heart of Oak from 1840 to 1853.  A traditional family run inn with a 34 seat restaurant. 

In 1909 the Eagle Inn had four exit doors which caused great concern to the Police who suspected after hours drinking. 

Fire caused the inn to close in August 2008 but is open again after improvements and losing none of its previous character.  

A dog friendly establishment.

Live music every weekend.

Ferry Inn, St Dogmaels

The Ferry Inn, St Dogmaels dates back to the early 19th century.  A welcoming historic inn on the banks of the river Teifi which now has a jetty for those arriving by boat and its walls are adorned with local memorabilia. 

From 1881 to 1914 the local coxswain of the Cardigan lifeboat, David Rees, ran the Ferry and during his tenure a Friendly Society known as the Ancient Britons had a lodge at the establishment.

The Hotel Penwig, New Quay

The Hotel Penwig, New QuayThe Hotel Penwig is located in the picturesque setting of the seaside resort of New Quay in west Wales and believed to be named after Penwig farm which was located close by.  An open plan hotel which overlooks Cardigan Bay with stone floors and chairs and tables of different colours and heights. 

The Penwig has seven letting rooms with three offering sea views. 

Ship on Launch, New Quay

An apt name for a pub in a boat building village like New Quay.  It was opened by former harbourmaster James Davies in the 1840s. 

The Ship on Launch was located on Church Street and 'Its front door was said to fit so badly that there was always a terrible draught which, it was believed locally, eventually caused the death of the innkeeper from pneumonia’

Now a private house called Pennard 

Angel Inn, New Quay

The former Angel Inn stood at the junction of High Terrace and Church Street and behind Penwig farm. 

By the 1830s the shipbuilder David Davies lived on the premises and it had ceased operating as a public house.

The Seahorse Inn, New Quay

The one roomed corner pub, the Seahorse Inn, is located on the main road to New Quay in west Wales.  A real locals public house with small bar.  An array of local photos cover the walls with the public house hardly changed since New Quay was known as a fishing and ship building centre. 

During the 1870s it was known as the Commercial with three times married Jenny Phillips the landlady.  Later it became a favourite haunt to the poet Dylan Thomas and at the time it was known as the Sailor’s Home Arms.

Serving real ale.

Teifi Netpool Inn, St Dogmaels

Teifi Netpool Inn, St DogmaelsThe Teifi Netpool Inn is located on the Wales Coastal path in St. Dogmaels, west Wales and has a rich tradition of salmon fishing where seine nets in former times were used to be hung to dry or repaired.  Local fishermen would draw lots outside the inn to determine where they fished that day. 

Ship Inn, Aberporth

Ship Inn, AberporthThe Ship Inn overlooks one of the most beautiful beaches in Wales in the small village of Aberporth in west Wales and dates back to the early 19th century.   Low levelled beams in open planned room with various nautical memorabilia on walls and ceilings.

Drawbridge Arms, Cardigan

During the 1850s the Drawbridge Arms was kept by Kitty Penbedwas and was located on what was known as the Middle Mwldan road. 


Subscribe to RSS - Ceredigion

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel