Royal Raven, Aberdyfi

Formerly known as the Ty Mawr the Royal Raven was built in 1615.  At that time it was probably a house providing refreshments to ferry passengers who intended crossing the river Dyfi .  It was one of the oldest houses in Aberdyfi.  Most of Aberdyfi at the time was owned by the Corbet family of Ynysmaengwyn who lived near Tywyn.  A raven was borne on their coat of arms.  Later after an overnight stay by a Princess of the Royal Stuart family the prefix Royal was added – Royal Raven.  It is interesting to note that during reconstruction in 1685 a beam was uncovered which bore a carved date of 1645.

Content category: 

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel