The George, Cardiff

Building work on the pub started in 1878 but not completed until 1891.  Originally called the Royal George but became Clancy’s Irish Bar.  Located in the student area of Cathays and Roath.

In former times it was the hangman’s house at ‘death junction’.  The first publican, Samuel Loveless was the nephew of James Hammett the Tolpuddle martyr.

Primarily a student pub these days but in the late 1980s and early 1990s a real locals watering hole.  Before refurbishment had a boop deck overlooking the bar area. 

Two pool tables and plenty of other entertainment on the premises including a jukebox and fruit machines.

Contact details: 

George, Cathays, Cardiff

Locale - Wales: 

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel