Neuadd Arms, Llanwrtyd Wells

Dating back to Georgian times the Grade II listed Neuadd Arms can be located in the heart of Llanwrtyd Wells, Britain’s smallest town.   It offers the opportunity to explore the Cambrian mountains and the Brecon Beacons.  The Neuadd Arms has hardly changed over the years with the open log fires offering warmth and relaxation after a hard day’s walk or fishing along the nearby river Irfon. 

The Castle Coaching Inn, Trecastle

The former Castle Coaching Inn is located on the A40 west of Brecon in the Brecon Beacons National Park.  A Georgian Hotel with a lovely log fire in the bar during the Winter months. 
Serving a selection of real ales and also has a selection of malt whisky. 
Prime location for walkers, cyclists and fishermen.

Radnor Arms, Llowes

The 17th century Radnor Arms located in Llowes in Radnorshire and formerly known as the Butcher’s Arms.  In 1851 the publican was one Thomas Pritchard aged 53 who lived there with his wife and five children.  He was also a gardener by trade. 
By the mid 20th century the Radnor Arms was known as an inn where beer was brought up from the cellar in a jug to the customer. 

The Lion Hotel, Berriew

The 17th century black and white beamed Lion Hotel is located on the B4390 in Berriew a short distance between Welshpool and Newtown in mid Wales.  The interior of the Lion consists of exposed oak beams with walls of original wattle and daub. 
There are seven double rooms with views over the untouched village of Berriew.
Serving real ales.

The Pheasant Inn, Welshpool

The Pheasant Inn, WelshpoolThe Pheasant has been a public house for well over a hundred years.  It was a private house until 1854 and by 1881 it became a watering hole run by Thomas Parry, a tanner by trade. 

Entertainments include Sky Sports, pool table, 2 dart boards and juke box.  Also has live music events and quiz evenings.

The Mermaid, Welshpool

Mermaid Inn, WelshpoolThe timber framed Mermaid Inn dates back to the 16th century and has been an inn for at least 200 years.  It originally had a thatched roof but it is now tiled and was formerly known as the Black Boy Inn.

For over half a century during the 1800s the inn was run by a family called Sparrow.

Talbot Inn, Welshpool

The timber framed Talbot Inn stands on High Street in Welshpool and is the oldest pub in town.  Formerly known as the Corner House and once a popular coaching inn dating back to the 17th century with many believing it to be much older, possibly 15th century? 

The Talbot has cosy interiors which includes old oak beams and large curved oak beam over the fireplace in the lounge. 

During the 19th century the Talbot Inn was flanked by a pair of marbled Tuscan columns.

The inn keeper in 1881 was one Evan Bowen.

Bell Country Inn, Llanwyre

The Bell Inn stands near the church of Llanwyre and built in 1888.  The present inn stands on an older hostelry which dated back to 1667 as seen in a dated oak panel by the front door.  The early Bell Inn was much used by the drovers on their regular excursions into England. 

Bridge end, Llyswen

The Bridge End stands on the edge of Llyswen village and was built in 1842 and close to the toll bridge constructed in the same year. 

Much refurbished over the years including two extensions to the rear of the public house. 

Open fire during the winter months.

Old Oak Inn, Presteigne

The 17th century Old Oak Inn on Broad Street was renowned for its sporting association involving cock fighting which was held at the back of the inn.  Birds were carefully bred and trained and huge wagers placed on the winners by the local gentry. 


Subscribe to RSS - Powys

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel