Gone but not forgotten

Newport Arms, Cardigan

The Newport Arms stood near Castle Street in the Bridgend area of Cardigan.  John Mathias, Master of the schooner Victoria ran the Newport Arms from 1817 to 1830. 

During the 1860s the inn was closed only to be reopened twenty years later at a different location on Castle Street.  The Newport Arms was finally closed in 1906 when the local magistrates refused to renew its license.

Ship on Launch, New Quay

An apt name for a pub in a boat building village like New Quay.  It was opened by former harbourmaster James Davies in the 1840s. 

The Ship on Launch was located on Church Street and 'Its front door was said to fit so badly that there was always a terrible draught which, it was believed locally, eventually caused the death of the innkeeper from pneumonia’

Now a private house called Pennard 

Angel Inn, New Quay

The former Angel Inn stood at the junction of High Terrace and Church Street and behind Penwig farm. 

By the 1830s the shipbuilder David Davies lived on the premises and it had ceased operating as a public house.

Drawbridge Arms, Cardigan

During the 1850s the Drawbridge Arms was kept by Kitty Penbedwas and was located on what was known as the Middle Mwldan road. 

Commercial, Cardigan

During the mid 19th century the Commercial Hotel was one of the principal hostelries in Cardigan and in 1877 known as the Boadicea. 

In 1891 the Commercial was run by Samuel and Emma Owen who had a daughter aged 10 and had two servants Rachel Morgan age 21 and Mary Lewis age 18.

By the time the Commercial closed it was owned by Felinfoel Brewery and the landlord in 2008 was David Handel Lewis.

Pink Farm Inn, Llandudno

The Pink Farm Inn was located on the Great Orme and operated during the early 20th century to supplement its income from tourists roaming the area.  In 1890 the proprietor was Mrs J. Roberts who was licensed to sell ale and porter with the sign above the door reading ‘Mrs J. Roberts (late) William Owen, Farm Inn, Great Ormes Head, licensed to sell Ale & porter, Wines, refreshments etc’
Later it became Pink Farm Cafe before reverting back to being a farm and the fading roof advert ‘Teas’ can still be seen. 

Cook's Arms, Clydach

The Cook’s Arms stood on the square in Clydach.  It was demolished for road widening developments in 1968.

Ship Inn, Bridgend

The Ship Inn was built in 1793 and was located opposite the current Barclays Bank in Dunraven Place and was a prominent posting and coaching inn.  It was demolished in 1981 to make way for the town shopping development

Old Oak Inn, Presteigne

The 17th century Old Oak Inn on Broad Street was renowned for its sporting association involving cock fighting which was held at the back of the inn.  Birds were carefully bred and trained and huge wagers placed on the winners by the local gentry. 

Oxford Arms, Presteigne

The Oxford Arms was named after Robert Harley (1661 – 1724), the Earl of Oxford and Mortimer and opened in 1825.  One of the first known landlords was John Roberts who was there in 1830.

At one time it was frequented by footballers who changed and showered before and after matches. 

It closed in the 1960s and became a private house called the Oxford.


Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel