Duke's Arms, Presteigne

Duke's Arms, PresteigneThe Duke’s Arms in Presteigne is one of the oldest public houses in Radnorshire functioning as an inn as early as the 15th century.  Like several of the town’s inns the Duke had its own malthouse producing malt for their own brewing needs. 

Before 1720 it was known as the Talbot Inn and named after the earls of Shrewsbury and became the Duke’s Arms in 1723, named after the Duke of Chandos, Lord Lieutenant of Radnorshire. 

The Duke’s Arms began calling itself a hotel from 1861 and became a popular destination for the town’s major functions. 

During the Second World War it was commandeered by the War Department and Presteigne had a fair intake of troops.  Later during the 1980s it stopped functioning as a hotel and reverted back to an inn.

Serving real ale.

Pool table in the back room.

Reputedly haunted.

Contact details: 

Duke’s Arms, Broad Street, Presteigne  LD8 2AD

Locale - Wales: 
Content category: 

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel