The Laughing Dog, Howey

The Laughing Dog, HoweyThe Laughing Dog is located in the small village of Howey just outside Llandrindod Wells and the building dates back to at least the mid 18th century and was then a private house.  The former Bridge End was first licensed in 1872 and comprised a parlour, tap room, kitchen, cellar and three bedrooms.  It also had a stable with four stalls. 

Its license came up for renewal in 1920 and the inn was in great danger of losing its livelihood with the authorities arguing there was no need for two public houses in the village, the other being the Drovers Arms.  Fortunately the residents and the local farmers unified behind a strong petition and the license was renewed. 

It is believed to be haunted by a Victorian lady who wanders around the old blacksmith’s forge which is now part of the Laughing Dog. 

Much refurbished in 2001 and became known as the Laughing Dog.

A real ale establishment with an open fire during the winter months and has a lovely beer garden for the summer.  Entertainment in the Games room include  pool table, darts board and quoits.

Garden produces home grown vegetables for its restaurant. 

Contact details: 

The Laughing Dog, Howey, Llandrindod Wells  LD1 5PT

Locale - Wales: 
Content category: 

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel