Sir Benfro

Red Lion, Pembroke

The former Red Lion dated back to the 1790s when a certain John Lewis was the licensee.  Name derives from the Cawdor coat of arms.

By 1859 the friendly society, Heart of Oak Benefit Society, met at the Red Lion.

The Red Lion closed its doors in the 1890s but is still serving the local community as a fish and chips shop.

Green Dragon, Pembroke

At one time the former Green Dragon, now the NatWest Bank was a fashionable coaching inn in Pembroke.  The Green Dragon dated back to the 1770s and was described as the best hostelry in Pembroke by the Cambrian directory of 1800.

The Green Dragon became popular with various societies holding many high class dinners.  Societies included Pembroke Farmers Club, Oddfellows, United Friends Society and later the Loyal Order of Ancient Druids.

Coach House Hotel, Pembroke

The Coach House Hotel dates to the 1960s and has all the mod cons of a 21st century hotel.

In its formative years the Coach House was used as Pembroke’s folk club and later popular with German Panzer troops when out relaxing from their training camp at nearby Castlemartin.

The gardens of the hotel lead down to the renowned and popular mill pond.

York Tavern, Pembroke

Sadly the historic York Tavern closed its doors back in 2002.  According to local legend secret passages lead from the York, under the castle and on to the priory at Monkton.

It is said Cromwell was housed here during the civil war.

Another important historic figure, John Wesley, is said to have preached in the old chapel which at one time stood in the tavern’s grounds.

The Royal Oak, Pembroke

The former coaching inn dates back to the 1830s with one John Duggan running the Oak during this time.

A locals public house serving real ale with landlord hoping to introduce microbrewery. 

The Hope Inn, Pembroke

The Hope Inn on St Michael’s Square in Pembroke dates back to the 1840s.  From 1861 to 1873 the Hope was run by one Morris Phillips who was 93 years old when he died and the license passed on to his widow, Jane, a young 69 year old. 

Old Cross Saws Inn, Pembroke

The Old Cross Saws Inn stands on St. Michael’s Square in Pembroke.  It’s possibly named after an old preaching cross which stood in the area during medieval times.  Others seem to think the pub was originally called the Crossed Swords which was the symbol of the Cutlers’ Guild and then became known as Cross Saws over time.  Catharine Millard was the first known licensee.

Three Crowns, Pembroke Dock

The Three Crowns dates back to the mid 19th century and was formerly known as the George and Dragon.  It was often referred to as ‘one of the most popular and cosy inns of pre-war Pembroke Dock’

The Three Crowns was badly damaged by a German air raid during May 1941 with the landlords Mr and Mrs Bowen being found alive in the rubble the following morning.

A skittle alley was attached to the Three Crowns during the 1960s when it was known at the time as Brooksies. Reverted back to the old name during the early 1990s.

Closed by 2013.

Bush Tavern, Pembroke Dock

The Bush Tavern dates back to the 1850s with one Charles Gardner being landlord.  It was one of the town’s largest pubs and at one time the local Army Reserve Pensioners were paid on the premises. 

The landlady in 1882 was Laura Russell, she only lasted a few months before being fined for serving out of hours.

The Bush Tavern was closed during the early 1990s but reopened in 1995 by the new landlord Mr Brookes who’d greatly refurbished the public house.

Three Tuns, Pembroke Dock

The Three Tuns is located near the railway station in Pembroke Dock with Ann Scurlock being the landlady between 1868 and 1875.

Present owners have been there since the 1970s and have modernised the Tuns over the years.  Closed in the afternoons bar the weekends.

The Tuns was damaged by German bombs in May 1941 but was rebuilt and reopened a few years later.

Present owners have been there since the 1970s and have modernised the Tuns over the years.  Closed in the afternoons bar the weekends.



Subscribe to RSS - Sir Benfro

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel