Farmers Arms, Mathry

The Farmers Arms has been an inn since at least the 1860s when it was licensed to one George Walters. Located at the heart of Mathry and has been the main watering hole of the village since the Blacksmiths Arms closed in the late 19th century. As the norm in those days the husband’s name would have been seen above the door as Walters main occupation was working the land, of which he had 100 acres. Most of the bar work would have been left to his wife Mary, especially during daylight hours. They ran the inn until the 1880s.

Britannia Arms, Pembroke Dock

Short lived public house which was opened by one Thomas Rees in the 1840s.

Closed in the 1860s and now a private house.

Red Lion, Pembroke

The former Red Lion dated back to the 1790s when a certain John Lewis was the licensee.  Name derives from the Cawdor coat of arms.

By 1859 the friendly society, Heart of Oak Benefit Society, met at the Red Lion.

The Red Lion closed its doors in the 1890s but is still serving the local community as a fish and chips shop.

Green Dragon, Pembroke

Ar un adeg roedd y Green Dragon, sef Banc Natwest Penfro heddiw, yn dafarndy ffasiynol yn nyddiau'r goets fawr.  Roedd y Green Dragon yn dyddio i'r 1770au a cafodd ei disgrifio fel tafarndy gorau Penfro yn llawlyfr Cambrian 1880.

Daeth y Green Dragon yn boblogaidd gydag amrywiol gymdeithasau fu'n cynnal ciniawau crand.  Cymdeithasau tebyg i 'Pembroke farmers Club', 'Oddfellows' 'United Friends Society' ac yn hwyrach y 'Loyal Order of Ancient Druids'.

Coach House Hotel, Pembroke

The Coach House Hotel dates to the 1960s and has all the mod cons of a 21st century hotel.

In its formative years the Coach House was used as Pembroke’s folk club and later popular with German Panzer troops when out relaxing from their training camp at nearby Castlemartin.

The gardens of the hotel lead down to the renowned and popular mill pond.

York Tavern, Pembroke

Sadly the historic York Tavern closed its doors back in 2002.  According to local legend secret passages lead from the York, under the castle and on to the priory at Monkton.

It is said Cromwell was housed here during the civil war.

Another important historic figure, John Wesley, is said to have preached in the old chapel which at one time stood in the tavern’s grounds.

The Royal Oak, Pembroke

The former coaching inn dates back to the 1830s with one John Duggan running the Oak during this time.

A locals public house serving real ale with landlord hoping to introduce microbrewery. 

The Hope Inn, Pembroke

The Hope Inn on St Michael’s Square in Pembroke dates back to the 1840s.  From 1861 to 1873 the Hope was run by one Morris Phillips who was 93 years old when he died and the license passed on to his widow, Jane, a young 69 year old. 

Old Cross Saws Inn, Pembroke

The Old Cross Saws Inn stands on St. Michael’s Square in Pembroke.  It’s possibly named after an old preaching cross which stood in the area during medieval times.  Others seem to think the pub was originally called the Crossed Swords which was the symbol of the Cutlers’ Guild and then became known as Cross Saws over time.  Catharine Millard was the first known licensee.

Three Crowns, Pembroke Dock

The Three Crowns dates back to the mid 19th century and was formerly known as the George and Dragon.  It was often referred to as ‘one of the most popular and cosy inns of pre-war Pembroke Dock’

The Three Crowns was badly damaged by a German air raid during May 1941 with the landlords Mr and Mrs Bowen being found alive in the rubble the following morning.

A skittle alley was attached to the Three Crowns during the 1960s when it was known at the time as Brooksies. Reverted back to the old name during the early 1990s.

Closed by 2013.


Subscribe to RSS - Pembrokeshire

Privacy & Terms | House Rules
E&OE. All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is Copyright © PubsCymru
website by euan raffel